How to deal with bad breath?
Unpleasant smell from the mouth is a problem that is embarrassed and not talked about! It’s a shame to communicate with colleagues, it’s terrible to make new acquaintances – it’s all about people suffering from halitosis (that’s what unpleasant smell from the mouth is called in medicine). Why it arises and how to fight it – we propose to find out.
How to check if there is a smell from the mouth?
Our body adapts to everything and smells – not an exception! We quickly get pruned to perfume and other smells and do not notice them anymore. Its own odor from the mouth is problematic, because we can not breathe the air in at the same time and breathe out with our mouths. Here are a few ways how you can find out how smells from your mouth:
1) Ask about this from a loved one.
2) Take a teaspoon, turn it over and slide it over the tongue. On the spoon there will be a saliva and, probably, a white scurf, which have the same smell as your breath.
3) Lick your wrist and wait until the saliva dries. The smell that you breathe will be yours. However, it will be much weaker than the one that is in fact. The tongue is cleansed with saliva, which has antibacterial action.
4) Cover your mouth and nose with your hand simultaneously. Take a deep breath with your mouth, smell it.
5) Wear a one-time mask, the smell that you feel under the mask – feel the surrounding.
6) You can use a special device – a freshness indicator. He will assess the odor from your mouth on a 5-point scale.
The causes of halitosis:
1) Diseases of the oral cavity: caries, pulpitis, peredontitis, gingivitis, stomatitis.
2) Incorrect and irregular brushing of teeth.
3) Diseases of the mucosa and ENT organs of sinusitis, pharyngitis, tonsillitis.
4) Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, lungs, endocrine system.
6) Dryness in the mouth or xerostomia. It is because of this that we feel a bad smell from the mouth of our loved ones. This is because people breathe through their mouths, or because less saliva is released during sleep during the night – the mucous membrane of the mouth dries up and the bad smell.
And you knew that saliva is our daily cleaner! With each sip, it flushes a lot of germs and food debris. If the saliva is not enough, the mouth is poorly cleaned and there is an excellent environment for the reproduction of bacteria that cause an unpleasant smell.
Haziness in the mouth can cause some medications. Also, with age, the salivary glands work worse, so many older people may have an unpleasant odor from their mouths.
How to get rid of a bad smell?
* If you are sure that you have bad breath – contact your dentist! And there’s nothing wrong with that – it’s better to tell your expert about your problem and forget about it forever, than to complex it for years.
* Treat all the teeth, remove those teeth that are not amenable to treatment.
* Solve the problem with low salivation. Drink at least 2 liters of water a day. If the body lacks water – it begins to save it – releases less saliva, which has an antibacterial effect.
Care carefully for the oral cavity. Brush your teeth and tongue at least twice a day, use dental floss and rinse.
* Do professional dentistry in dentistry. With the help of a special apparatus, the doctor will clean not only your teeth, but also the interdental spaces, where many microbes and food debris are constantly collected.
* Eat right! Do not abuse foods containing more fast carbohydrates, which are the main food of bacteria and microbes. Try not to snack during the day, but if there is a need to rinse your mouth with water or use a chewing gum.
If the smell from the mouth after examining the dentist and the proper hygienic procedures continues to bother you, sign up for an examination with an ENT doctor. If this doctor also says that you are “Healthy” – go to the therapist for examination! You have to struggle with problems, and not be afraid of them!
We wish you fresh breath and good mood! If you still have questions, sign up for a consultation with our doctors.